SHOPPING FOR TOYS IS FUN...
Now that you are grown up and have money to buy whatever toy you want for the children in your chiropractic practice!
Exciting isn’t it?
Although, it is very easy to get too carried away and buy WAY too many. Without thinking it through and preparing, you may end up picking up toys that serve no other purpose than being a dust collectors or floor covers that your staff need to pick up time and time again.
Although you may want your practice to be the most child friendly chiropractic practice around, it is important to remember it is still is a place for work. There are OH&S issues to consider, and you need to buy toys that are safe and will work with you in practice, not against you.
So before you go shopping here are my top tips for choosing toys for your practice:
TIP 1: CHOOSE TOYS THAT WORK WITH YOUR EXAMINATION
- Toys for hemisphere tests: spiky balls, bouncy balls and a kaleidoscope
- Toys for hearing, ROM and neuro testing: shakers, maracas and squeaky toys.
- Toys for primitive reflexes: paint brushes, toys that light up and toys of different textures
TIP 2: CHOOSE TOYS THAT ARE IN LINE WITH YOUR PHILOSOPHY
- consider safe, non-toxic toys e.g. wooden toys free of non-toxic paint and BPA plastic.
- Also keep in mind they will need to be easily washable, or cleaned.
TIP 3: CHOOSE TOYS THAT HELP YOU EXPLAIN WHAT YOU DO
- Find dolls or bears that have arms, legs and heads that swivel and turn.
- You can also prompt parents to get their children to bring in their favourite toys for adjustments.